HEARTBREAKING NEWS: BBC Radio 2 legend diagnosed with a brain tumour after taking time off air.
BBC Radio 2’s Trevor Nelson Reveals Brain Tumour Surgery After Weeks Away From Air
Trevor Nelson has revealed the serious health battle behind his sudden absence from BBC Radio 2, confirming that he underwent surgery after doctors discovered a brain tumour.
The veteran broadcaster, 62, stepped away from his radio commitments in June after initially telling listeners that he needed time off to deal with unspecified health issues.
At the time, Nelson deliberately avoided giving further details and urged people not to speculate while he underwent additional medical tests.
Now, nearly two months later, he has explained what was really happening behind the scenes.
Nelson revealed in an Instagram update that doctors discovered the tumour while he had been going about his normal life, describing the diagnosis as a huge shock that turned his world “upside down.”
A few weeks later, he underwent what he described as “very serious surgery.”
Thankfully, Nelson said the operation went “incredibly well,” and he has spent the past month recovering at home while receiving further post-operative treatment.
Listeners first became concerned in June when Nelson unexpectedly disappeared from his weekday Radio 2 programme.
He normally presents the 2pm to 4pm weekday slot and also has a Sunday programme on BBC Radio 1Xtra.
On June 26, Nelson told followers that a routine check-up had led doctors to recommend further tests.
He subsequently decided to step away from his broadcasting and DJ commitments.
At the time, he said his only priority was getting healthy enough to feel like himself again and eventually return “behind the mic and the decks.”
Nelson did not reveal his diagnosis then.
Instead, he stressed that health matters should be approached using confirmed information rather than speculation.
The silence understandably left many longtime listeners wondering what had happened.
His new update has finally provided the answer.
Nelson explained that further investigations revealed he had a brain tumour.
The discovery was completely unexpected.
He said the diagnosis came while he had essentially been carrying on with ordinary life, making the news particularly difficult to process.
According to Nelson, he knew he could not simply continue broadcasting as though everything were normal while dealing with something so significant privately.
That ultimately explains why he disappeared from his regular programmes.
Trevor Says Surgery Went ‘Incredibly Well’
While the diagnosis was frightening, Nelson had much more encouraging news to share about his treatment.
A few weeks after learning about the tumour, the presenter underwent major surgery.
He described the procedure as “very serious,” but said it had gone extremely well.
Since then, Nelson has largely remained at home focusing on his recovery and undergoing the treatment required following the operation.
The broadcaster did not publicly disclose the specific type of brain tumour in the reports available, so it would be wrong to speculate about its exact nature or long-term prognosis.
What Nelson did make clear was how positive he currently feels.
“I feel great right now,” he said in his update, adding that he feels energized and almost back to his usual self.
That represents a major change from the uncertainty surrounding his health when he first stepped away from work.
[CHÈN ẢNH TREVOR NELSON TẠI BBC RADIO 2 TẠI ĐÂY]
Nelson has even begun returning to some of his normal activities, including going to the gym and playing golf.
But he has not yet fully resumed his professional schedule.
DJ Spoony has been covering Nelson’s afternoon Radio 2 programme during his absence, while Nelson continues to prioritize his recovery.
His intention, however, is clear.
He wants to return.
Trevor Nelson Reassures Worried Fans
The broadcaster used his update to reassure listeners who had been sending messages and worrying about him during his unexplained absence.
Nelson said he is “on the mend” and hopes to return to radio before eventually getting back to his live DJ work as well.
For his supporters, the update answered a question that had been hanging over Radio 2 since June.
Nelson’s original announcement was deliberately vague.
He simply explained that a routine appointment had resulted in additional tests and that he needed to take time away.
The BBC publicly supported that decision.
Lorna Clarke, the corporation’s director of music, said at the time that everyone at Radio 2 and Radio 1Xtra wished Nelson a speedy recovery and looked forward to welcoming him back whenever he was ready.
Messages also arrived from friends and colleagues across broadcasting and music.
Among those publicly offering their support were Lauren Laverne, Beverley Knight, Lemar and Fleur East after Nelson first announced his medical break.
His latest revelation has prompted another wave of support.
A Broadcasting Career Spanning Three Decades
Nelson’s absence has been particularly noticeable because of how firmly established he is within British radio.
He has spent around three decades at the BBC and became one of the country’s most influential broadcasters of R&B, soul and hip-hop.
Before his current daytime Radio 2 role, Nelson worked across BBC Radio 1 and Radio 1Xtra and built a career closely associated with championing Black music in Britain.
He began presenting Radio 2’s weekday 2pm-to-4pm programme in January 2025, while continuing other broadcasting and DJ commitments.
Earlier in 2026, he received the ARIAS Special Recognition Award, while he was also honoured with a special award at the TRIC Awards shortly before stepping away from work.
[CHÈN ẢNH TREVOR NELSON NHẬN GIẢI HOẶC XUẤT HIỆN TẠI SỰ KIỆN TRIC TẠI ĐÂY]
Those professional achievements were happening at almost exactly the same time that Nelson’s private life was being turned upside down by his diagnosis.
That contrast helps explain why his absence initially appeared so sudden.
One moment he was continuing with work and public appearances as normal.
Then came further tests, the discovery of the tumour and a major operation.
For now, Nelson has not announced a firm date for his full-time return.
But his latest message was overwhelmingly positive.
After a month recovering from surgery and receiving follow-up treatment, he says he is feeling increasingly like himself again and is looking forward to eventually getting back behind the microphone.
For listeners who had been wondering why one of Radio 2’s most familiar voices suddenly disappeared, the explanation is far more serious than many may have expected.